If you want to serve some easy, healthy foods at your next gathering, create a soup and muffin bar. It is easy to serve a wide variety of foods, including vegetarian and gluten-free options. Here are two delicious, healthy recipes to get you started.
Creamy Tomato Soup
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 carrots, peeled and minced
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 2 14 oz cans of stewed or diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp honey
- 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes (more if you want your soup spicy)
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- 24 oz low-fat cream cheese
- 2 cups chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- Parsley for garnish
- In a large pot, sauté the carrots and the onion in the olive oil.
- After five minutes add the garlic and stir another minute.
- Add the broth, tomatoes, honey, red pepper flakes, and vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
- Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover and simmer for twenty minutes.
- Transfer the soup to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Put the mixture back into the pot and toss in the cream cheese. Warm the soup back up (but don't boil), put it in bowls, and garnish it with the parsley sprigs.
Low-Fat Blueberry Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 c wheat bran
- 1/2 c unsweetened applesauce
- 1 c nonfat milk
- 2/3 c brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1/2 cup whole wheat flour
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 cup blueberries
- Preheat your oven to 190 degrees Celsius. Grease your muffin tin or use paper muffin cups. Mix the milk and the wheat bran and let it sit for ten minutes.
- In a large bowl, mix the applesauce, brown sugar, egg, and vanilla. Stir in the wheat bran mixture.
- Sift together the flours, salt, baking powder, and baking soda. Add it to the wet ingredients and stir gently until just blended (if you stir too much your muffins will be tough). Fold in the cup of blueberries.
- Scoop the batter into your muffin cups and bake fifteen to twenty minutes. You will know your muffins are done when you touch the tops lightly and they spring back.
The next time you host a gathering, try these healthy recipes. If you want to save some time, hire a catering company like Gallery Café & Catering to bring some of the soups and muffins. You can serve more variety with less hassle. Enjoy your party!